NATIONAL TRIALS for the 1st European Mixed Team Championship
CONDITIONS OF CONTEST
By registering to these national trials, each player who will be qualified commits himself
- to represent Belgium in the forthcoming European Mixed Championship (which will take place in Lisbon, Portugal from February 22 to February 28, 2019)
- to participate to training sessions (if any) that could be organized to prepare this championship and subsequent events in case of qualification
- to show sportsmanship and a personal behavior at the table as required for such competition
- and obviously, to produce the best possible quality of play during these events
All qualified players will have the obligation to sign the EBL Competitor’s commitment form.
The registration will be by team of two and only two mixed pairs.
A registration form will be available on the RBBF web site. The registration form will request the identification of the team captain. Registration Closed
The deadline for registration is 30th of September 2018. The registration will only be considered when the entry fee (see hereunder) will have been paid on RBBF account.
The composition of a team is open to all players having their national licenses (either at the VBL or the LBF) and who are compliant with EBL rules to represent Belgium.
A maximum of eight teams will be admitted to the first stage of the trials. If more teams have been registered, eight teams will be selected by the “international competition commission” (4 people from the RBBF management board).
The selected teams will be informed of their admission no later than 7th of October 2018 by sending an email to the team captain. After this date, teams cannot retire their registration any more.
After October 7, 2018 and before the start of the competition, a team can be authorized, by the international competition commission, to replace one and only of its player in case of force majeure.
After the start of the first stage, a team will be directly eliminated if it cannot align its four players whatever the reason.
There will be an event fee of 320€ for each team. This fee is non-refundable for the eight selected team. This entry fee will be refunded to the teams which are not selected among the eight final teams.
If a selected team cancels its registration at any time after September 30th, the entry fee will not be reimbursed and the RBBF management board will be informed and may decide additional sanctions. If still possible, the team will be replaced by another non-admitted team (if any available).
The fee must be paid on RBBF account BE26 2100 2112 4329 no latter than 30th of September 2018. If payment is not received by this date, the team registration will not be considered.
The trials will be played in three stages (quarter-final, semi-final, final) of 96 boards KO matches. Each stage will be organized on two days of 3 sessions of 16 boards:
- Quarter-Final will take place on Sunday November 18 and Sunday November 25
- Semi-Final will take place on Sunday December 2 and Sunday December 9
- Final will take place on Saturday December 22 and Sunday December 23 and will possibly be broadcasted on BBO.
Each day, the first round will start at 11:00 AM. More details (such as venue, detailed match schedule, tournament director,...) will be available later on and published on RBBF web site.
The participating teams will be ranked by the international competition commission and will then be attributed a seed number of #1 to maximum #8 based on their ranking.
The brackets for the quarter-finals will be: #1 vs. #8; #2 vs. #7; #3 vs. #6 and #4 vs. #5
In case there are less than 8 teams but at least 5 teams:
- If 7 teams only, team #1 will receive a BYE for the quarter-final. The three qualified teams from #2 vs #7, #3 vs. #6 and #4 vs. #5 will then join team#1 for the semi-final
- If 6 teams only, team #1 and team #2 will receive a BYE for the quarter-final. The two qualified teams from #3 vs. #6 and #4 vs. #5 will join them for the semi-final
- If 5 teams only, team #1, #2 and #3 will receive a BYE for the quarter-final. The qualified team from #4 vs. #5 will join them for the semi-final
When a lowest ranked team defeats a higher-seeded team, it will get the seed number of the defeated team for the next stage of the competition.
The brackets for the semi-finals will be #1 vs. #4 and #2 vs. #3
If there are only 4 registered teams, the quarter-final stage will be suppressed.
If there are only 3 teams, #1 will be qualified directly for the final and #2 will play against #3 in the semi-final.
If there are only two registered teams, only the final stage will take place.
BELGIAN MIXED TEAM COMPOSITION
The winning team will be automatically selected to represent Belgium.
A third pair (if any) may be chosen to complete the team by the international competition commission following recommendation made by the winning team represented by its captain.
This pair will be selected among the teams having played during these trials.
Decision will take place no later than December 31, 2018.
RBBF will pay the registration of the team of 2250€ to the EBL and will also pay hotel expenses (nine nights plus breakfast with a maximum of 100€/night per person).
Travel fee and living expenses will be supported by the players.